blogging our home building process

Sunday, September 25, 2011

What's happening at Deeradise...

The past couple of weeks at Deeradise have been busy.  We are finally starting to near the completion of the exterior (minus the log railing for the porch which won't be ready for a few more weeks) and will be heading indoors in the next couple of weeks.  The weather has turned to fall and it's absolutely beautiful here!  Check out what's been going on - we have lots of pictures!

Excavation!  The large hill/dropoff next to the garage was built up, leveled out and made into a third parking area (the boat spot according to Jason :) ).  We also had fescue netting put down to help prevent erosion until we have time to figure out what we are going to do with the yard.  The grass is already growing well and almost too fast as we don't want to have to mow it this year!!

HVAC started last week and will be finishing up early this next week. 

unit is not hooked up yet, just dropped off near its location

Electrical is still getting done.  It should be finishing up this week so we can get our electrical inspection.  The plumbing will also be finishing up this next week.


The fireplace box got built last week and we now have a chimney on the roof!

The metal roof was also started last week and completed this week.  We love it!  It really does add a lot to the front of the house! 

you might wonder why we bothered with all the work of putting tongue/groove on the porch roof if we were just going to cover it with metal...well, we didn't plan to but in order to pass code, we had to install some kind of wood roof prior to the metal being installed

metal roof from the loft windows

And, finally the siding is near completion.  We ran out of it while working on the basement exterior walls so the siding is not all complete yet, but it will be soon.

For the 2nd story, we chose to use board and batten on the rear/side of the house for a different look (we also did this on the chimney).

Sunday, September 11, 2011

The View from the Top

This was our last week using the manlift.  Of course, even with it being all terrain, it couldn't handle our property after almost 7 inches of rain last Sunday/Monday/Tuesday.  Before United Rentals came to pick the manlift up, Jason took it for one last spin.  He took it all the way up to 60' on the road in front of our house to catch some really great views.

Look carefully, and you'll see Ron putting on the siding.

So you might notice part of the roof isn't done...this will be metal as well as the porch roofing.  The metal roofing will happen once all the siding is up/complete.

Hard to see the house from the street which is how we like it!

More siding was put on this week once the rain stopped.  We also opted to use a 2nd coat of stain which took additional time.
 Again, this week's pictures are from our phones so some of the pics are not that great.  Good news is the new SD card should be here any day for next week's blog!

Jason continued working on the electrical wiring.  He's about 80% done and there are wires EVERYWHERE!  I don't know how he keeps it all straight!

My good shoes after spilling an entire gallon of stain on me and the driveway.  (I wasn't supposed to be working, I was just supposed to pick Jason up which is why I had the shoes on.)  Followed, with a shot of gas in the eyes when I set the fuel cannister down after cleaning my staining brush.  I didn't get a lot in my eyes, but plenty enough to experience a good burn and an evening full of flushing my eyes out!!  I think I'm glad my contacts were in to partially shield my eyes!   I was mostly upset at spilling a $40 gallon of stain! ;)  Kind of funny the day after especially when I started the day tripping over something in the drive and falling backwards on my bum!!  I blame the full moon...

Monday, September 5, 2011

Thank You Lee...

East Tennessee is in a flash flood watch through Tuesday thanks to Tropical Storm Lee.  The rain started on Saturday here and progressed to a full-on downpour by Sunday night.  We are supposed to get 5-10 inches by Tuesday evening.  We chose to rain delay the blog which usually gets posted on Sundays so that we could get a little more progress made.  For those of you who look forward to our Sunday posts, thank you and we hope to be back on schedule next week.

The week began installing windows, fixed glass and doors.  It really does make the house look different and it's nice to be able to finally lock up especially with all the rain!  Wednesday started the siding.  We chose a hewn siding made from pine and log corners made from Lodgepole pine.  (Lodgepole pine is named for its common use in Native American tepees.)  The stain is also getting applied.  We chose to use Sikkens semi-transparent SRD stain in Butternut and it's really turned out beautiful!

All the pictures were taken with our camera phones this week.  Somehow in all the chaos of building, we lost the SD card to our camera and our camera is so old (Sony Cybershot DSC-W80) they don't sell the SD card in any stores.  We have to find it online and order it.  So, hopefully next week we might have the camera which does take better pictures!

Other happenings this week...Jason has been wrangling wire throughout all of the interior as he is doing the electrical wiring.  The remainder of the logs on the front porch got stained and we discovered new wildlife.  The Eastern Fence Lizard (aka Prairie Lizard)...Buster and Justice will be sure to love these li'l guys!

Blog Advertising - Advertise on blogs with
BLOG DIRECTORY, Submit blog free, Promote Blog, Best directory